Monday 9 March 2015

Lava - The Pipeline Trail

I did start off to do the lower Jeep trail, but to get down to it involved a one mile 45 degree path and if I climbed down that way I would only have to come up again later in the day, and I’m not sure that I could have made it! I did go down the first few hundred steps and then I came across the pipeline trail so took that instead.
Birding was pretty slow but steady with a perched up Black Eagle, 2 Little Pied Flycatchers, a sizeable flock of around 140 Himalayan Swiftlets, 6 Short-billed Minivets, 2 Blue-fronted Redstarts, 2 Red-billed Leiothrix, a huge feeding party of 400+ Whiskered and Rufous-vented Yuhinas, 2 Blue Whistling Thrushes, 14 Striated Bulbuls, 10 White-throated Laughingthrush, 1 Verditer Flycatcher, 1 Fire-tailed Sunbird and a Red-flanked Bluetail. But 'bird of the day' must go to a White-gorgeted Flycatcher that was doing it's thing in some really dense undergrowth, it was fly catching like a typical Flycatcher, but it all took place less than a foot off the ground and it's catching jaunts were sometimes just a matter of inches.
The only other thing of note was a single Indian Muntjac.


Black Eagle
Indian Muntjac
Little Pied Flycatcher
Short-billed Minivet
Whiskered Yuhina
The Pipeline Trail

No comments: