Tuesday 10 March 2015

Lava - Neora Valley Main Trail

Went all the way up Neora Valley, up the small track that goes well beyond the abandoned cowsheds. Not long after leaving the main road I was greeted with a stunning Bay Woodpecker, after this it was all pretty quiet until I got on the small track, when I came across a flock of Laughingthrushes moving about in the under story on the uphill side of the track, with a bit of patience they slowly worked their way into view, and turned out to be Chestnut-backed Laughingthrushes, about 20 of them. As they crossed the track onto the downhill side, I slowly crept forward for a better look, there was no sign, but there in full view for about 5 seconds, was a male Satyr Tragopan, jeez I wasn't expecting that! As soon as I raised the camera it bolted and flew down the slope and there was no way I was going to follow it down a 60 degree overgrown hillside! I did follow the track as far as it petered out to nothing, adding 12 Tibetan Siskins on the way.
It was now about lunchtime, so I started slowly heading back to Lava, adding the following on the way – 1 Brown-throated Treecreeper, 40 Striated Babblers, 4 Short-billed Minivets, 30 Chestnut-tailed Minla, 35 Rusty-fronted Barwings, 2 Rufous-capped Babblers, 10 Broad-billed Warblers, 1 Gold-naped Finch, 2 White-browed Scimitar Babblers and 2 White-spectacled Warblers.

Bay Woodpecker
Rusty-fronted Barwing

Some views from Neora Valley

No comments: